Wednesday, April 9, 2014

dizzy?

I was reading A Clash of Kings the other night,
and didn't recognize a word, so I unlocked my iPhone and opened Safari to look up the word, I can't remember what it was, before realizing that I hadn't checked the fashion blogs I follow yet that day, which led me to click a hyperlink. And then, I was looking at the new clothes H&M had put out...

~THIRTY MINUTES LATER~

I'm somehow on Youtube watching interviews of Emma Watson? Not that she isn't flawless and it isn't time well spent, but jesus christ.  I only went online to look up a  d e f i n i t i o n

(Sometimes, I am amazed that I accomplish a n y t h i n g.)


While I love how vast the Internet is, and am astounded by the sheer amount of information available at our fingertips, sometimes it is overwhelming.  Especially when you realized how much time you waste just clicking around without ever accomplishing what you originally went online for.

Weinberger states that the Internet can allow our inquiries to be "free-flowing and uninterrupted," but I think it depends on the situation.  If I'm writing a paper, I can stay focused on finishing the task without allowing the Internet to take me on too many random tirades.  When I am simply wandering around online, I am always surprised at how much I can learn.  The information that is in place through hyperlinks does allow for a continuous wave of knowledge to pass through your computer screen.  And this is a valuable part of the Internet that has changed the way we think.




No comments:

Post a Comment